Current Exhibitions

Webb House Period Rooms

The Orange Webb House is the oldest structure on the OHS campus. The structure was built in the eighteenth century (most likely around 1790) and originally stood near Sterling Creek in Greenport. The early history of the building has been difficult to decipher, and there is a possibility that it was built earlier in the eighteenth century and extensively remodeled in the late eighteenth century. Perhaps one day, documents will turn up that will establish a definitive date.

Webb House is thought to have been built as an inn or tavern and functioned as such until it was moved in the first part of the nineteenth century. The building preserves significant details which confirm its early use as a tavern. Among these details are, for example, the three ovens in three separate rooms.

Webb House in its second location on the Main Road, Greenport

It was first moved sometime in the first part of the nineteenth century, but the date of the move has not been firmly established. It was pulled by teams of oxen across the fields to the north side of the Main Road – just where the Kontokosta vineyard begins. The move may have taken place as late as 1840. On its new site it no longer functioned as a tavern, but became a farm house.

It remained on that site for well over one hundred years – until 1955 when George Latham bought it from the Sinuta family (who had acquired it in 1941). George Latham moved the house via barge to its current site in Orient. He bequeathed the Webb House and most of the objects on view to the Oysterponds Historical Society in 1981

Webb House

Webb House as it stands today in Poquatuck Park

The rooms in Webb House today reflect its history in the late 18th and early 19th centuries and house many of OHS’ most important pieces from that period. A major renovation was undertaken in 1991, which helped to preserve the original molding.

Exhibit Items

Sign-up for our newsletter

top