Webb House

 

 

The Webb House, an elegant example of early American architecture, was built in the late 18th century in what is now Greenport and probably served as an inn. The building was moved in the first part of the 19th century from its original site to the King’s Highway (now Route 25) where it was used as a farmhouse. In 1955 it was moved again – this time by barge – to Orient and became part of OHS in the 1980s. Webb House today is open to the public and decorated and period-furnished as it was during its late-18th and 19th century heyday. A Maritime Exhibition is on permanent display on the 2nd floor.

 

Location:  41° 8.327′ N, 72° 18.219′ W.  Webb House sits adjacent to Poquatuck Park, the entrance to which is on Village Lane in Orient, south of Orchard Street, on the right when traveling south. A blue historical marker (at or near this postal address: 1440 Village Lane, Orient NY 11957) is located on the right side of the pathway to Webb House and the Park.

 

Sign-up for our newsletter

top