History of Our Buildings

Village House

Imagine arriving at the Orient wharf by steamboat and strolling down the street in this fashionable summer resort. Built in 1798 and substantially enlarged in the 1850s, Village House today is open to the public decorated as it was when it welcomed visitors as a boarding house long ago. See the dining room, kitchen, and parlor. Upstairs, the bedrooms have been converted into exhibition galleries, which are open to the public. Village House also features the Beach Plum Shop with books about local history, souvenirs, and unique craft items created here on the North Fork.

 

Webb House

The Webb House, an elegant example of early American architecture, was built in the late 18th century in what is now Greenport and probably served as an inn. The building was moved in the first part of the 19th century from its original site to the King’s Highway (now Route 25) where it was used as a farmhouse. In 1955 it was moved again – this time by barge – to Orient and became part of OHS in the 1980s. Webb House today is open to the public and decorated and period-furnished as it was during its late-18th and 19th century heyday. A Maritime Exhibition is on permanent display on the 2nd floor.

 

 

Old Point Schoolhouse

The Old Point Schoolhouse, originally called the “Down-Neck School,” was built in 1873 to serve the community living near Orient Point. Closed in 1930 for lack of students, it lost its cupola in the great hurricane of 1938. In 1949, OHS acquired the building as a gift from Orient resident Edwin King and moved it to its current location. Today, the main floor of the Schoolhouse features the Janet T. Swanson Exhibition Gallery which houses an annual exhibition culled from OHS’s exceptional collection of historic artifacts, documents, diaries, works of art, and archival objects dating from early Native American times all the way through the 20th century.

 

Amanda Brown Schoolhouse

Once a wing of a house near the Orient Village Cemetery (across from the current Oysterponds Elementary School), this small building was used as a private school, taught by Miss Amanda Brown, beginning in 1862. Later, the main house to which the school was joined was moved, and this remaining section served as a tea-room and gift shop. In 1939, the schoolhouse was moved to the grounds of the Orient Point Inn and subsequently moved to the OHS campus in 1971.

Hallock Building

Built in 1891, the Hallock building served as a cookhouse and dormitory for workers on the large Hallock Farm in Orient. Acquired by the Society and moved to its present site in 1960, the structure has been restored and now contains the Donald H. Boerum Research Library and an archival research center, both open to the public by appointment only. Hallock Building also currently houses most of the Society’s collections as well as offices for the Curator and Collections Manager.

Red Barn

The Red Barn was built originally as a grain storage shed located on the Orient wharf.  A portion of the building was made into a replica of a typical general store. The other portion was devoted to a collection of horse-drawn vehicles and trappings. Currently the building is used to house the larger scale objects in OHS’s collections.

Poquatuck Park

Poquatuck Park was was generously conveyed to OHS by George Latham, Elizabeth W. Van Nostrand, and Leslie Van Nostrand. Today it serves as a community park in the heart of Orient Village. All are welcome to enjoy this beautiful and peaceful place.

 

We ask that you leash and pick up after your dog. Note that organized athletic games and all motor traffic are prohibited and that formal activities are only allowed by permission from the Society.

Historic Orient Village

In 1976, the Orient Historic District was officially recognized for its historic and architectural significance and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Based on the research for the application, a pictorial guide was published illustrating the buildings in the historic district.

Sign-up for our newsletter

top