Mission & History

Mission

The Oysterponds Historical Society celebrates and shares North Fork culture and heritage by preserving, exhibiting and interpreting the history of the Orient and East Marion communities, and our place in national history.

History

The Oysterponds Historical Society was started in 1944 to preserve the historical significance of Orient and East Marion, communities that was still largely populated by direct descendants of the European settlers three centuries before. OHS founding members Mrs. Henry F.J. Knobloch, Mrs. Alma Knox, and Mr. George R. Latham were concerned about the gradual disappearance of Native American artifacts, documents, family records, tools, art, and other surviving evidence of the maritime, agricultural, cultural, and religious life of the early residents of this area.

 

 

 

 

Collections include historic structures, archives, and artifacts. We maintain a campus with seven historic buildings located in the heart of the landmark historic district in Orient. OHS has amassed a vast collection of documents, photographs, artifacts, tools, and art. Today, we care for over 30,000 artifacts, works of art, and archival objects. Our archive, which is particularly strong in correspondence and diaries, is a rich and valuable resource regularly used by scholars, writers, genealogists and students.

Sign-up for our newsletter

top