The Old Point Schoolhouse, originally called the “Down-Neck School,” was built in 1873 to serve the community living near Orient Point. Closed in 1930 for lack of students, it lost its cupola in the great hurricane of 1938. In 1949, OHS acquired the building as a gift from Orient resident Edwin King and moved it to its current location. Today, the main floor of the Schoolhouse features the Janet T. Swanson Exhibition Gallery which houses an annual exhibition culled from OHS’s voluminous collection of historic artifacts, documents, diaries, works of art, and archival objects dating from early Native American times all the way through the 20th century.